May Bumps Predictions - Women

More sun, more fun

Re: May Bumps Predictions - Women

Postby Anonymous Coward » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:If I were Emma, I'd be massively pissed about last term and lining up to smash it.

-Not Emma

Why more pissed about last term than about Lents 2013?
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:
It depends how slow Downing and Clare are, compared to Jesus and Emma. Probably in with a shot at headship, though

Am I missing something here? Caius didn't even blade in Lents, and they've got Emma in front who were arguably faster than the headship crew.

Caius has 6 triallists returning....

Pfff, yeah "CUW" triallists :roll:
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:Am I missing something here? Caius didn't even blade in Lents, and they've got Emma in front who were arguably faster than the headship crew.

1 BB and 3 Lightweights and one triallist. Caius might be fast but it'll take a lot more than that to get them a sniff at the headship, especially given that they have to get Emma before Emma get Jesus on day 1. Also I don't see triallist number 6.
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:Am I missing something here? Caius didn't even blade in Lents, and they've got Emma in front who were arguably faster than the headship crew.

1 BB and 3 Lightweights and one triallist. Caius might be fast but it'll take a lot more than that to get them a sniff at the headship, especially given that they have to get Emma before Emma get Jesus on day 1. Also I don't see triallist number 6.

cox '13, 3 lwts, 1 BB, 1 spare

but yea... def agree with it being really close with Emma on Jesus
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Emma aren't entirely devoid of returners either...
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Queens' "W2" at Head of the Cam: shameful W1 pot-snatching?
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:06 am

Did they really think that rowing in their W1 shell with (at least) half of their W1 rowers wasn't going to raise eyebrows? Just enter the W1 category and accept the fact that you'll get faster when you have your full crew, can't imagine it feels that great as a first boat rower to pick up mays 3rd category pots...
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Did they really think that rowing in their W1 shell with (at least) half of their W1 rowers wasn't going to raise eyebrows? Just enter the W1 category and accept the fact that you'll get faster when you have your full crew, can't imagine it feels that great as a first boat rower to pick up mays 3rd category pots...

Would people have been happy if they had entered Mays 2nd with a boat of 50% W1 and 50% W2? Can you average a crew out like that?

What if they'd had only two from their first boat, should they still have entered Mays 1st?

Not trying to start an argument with anyone, just curious how the standard of a boat (and where it would be part of a fair competition) is judged.
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Would people have been happy if they had entered Mays 2nd with a boat of 50% W1 and 50% W2? Can you average a crew out like that?

What if they'd had only two from their first boat, should they still have entered Mays 1st?

Not trying to start an argument with anyone, just curious how the standard of a boat (and where it would be part of a fair competition) is judged.

Some common sense would be a good starting point.

In my opinion a crew shouldn't be entered as a ''W2" unless there's a full crew above them. Additionally, my college and others have often entered matched crews (two crews of half M1, half M2 each) and named them 'M1A' and 'M1B' or similar in the First Mays category, which would seem like the fair thing to do to me. If they were worried about looking pathetic then they could have done similarly (say, call themselves W1/W2 but be in the W1 category).
Anonymous Coward

Postby Anonymous Coward » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Some common sense would be a good starting point.

In my opinion a crew shouldn't be entered as a ''W2" unless there's a full crew above them. Additionally, my college and others have often entered matched crews (two crews of half M1, half M2 each) and named them 'M1A' and 'M1B' or similar in the First Mays category, which would seem like the fair thing to do to me. If they were worried about looking pathetic then they could have done similarly (say, call themselves W1/W2 but be in the W1 category).

I agree. If you can't get the whole crew together, you can't try to slip into a lower category to try to have an equal chance of winning to a crew that did get their act together. All subs should come from lower boats. Even one sub from the boat above is a bit dodgy, and isn't allowed under different entry systems. (Try telling the Henley stewards that the blue in your Temple crew is just a sub, and is totally balanced out by the handbrake in the 3 seat.)
Anonymous Coward

PreviousNext

Return to May Bumps 2014